Connect with The Main Event on social media! Follow Ed Hoffman on Twitter @EdHoffman, where he tweets about current events all week long – and, like the show on Facebook at Facebook.com/TheMainEventEdHoffman. You can also call the new listener hotline to leave Ed a voicemail and tell him what you think of the show! Call The Main Event listener hotline at (855) 640-2092. Here’s a preview of this week’s show!
Further to the Left
By now, you’ve heard about Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the 28-year-old who defeated Congressman Joe Crowley in New York (Crowley was considered by many the likely next Democratic speaker if the “blue wave” happens). But in order for that blue wave to come, Democrats have to go with what’s popular – and thanks to candidates like Cortez, what’s popular is to go as far left as possible.
Here are some other far left candidates popping up in time for the midterms:
- There’s David Garcia, the Democratic frontrunner in the Arizona governor’s race
- Cynthia Nixon in New York
- The candidate who’s more or less Nixon’s running mate in New York, state Attorney General candidate Zephyr Teachout
You’ll hear from these candidates on this show this week, in addition to Ocasio-Cortez herself (she’s a real rocket scientist).
When Socialism Wins
Here’s what happens when socialism wins: In Venezuela, where President Nicolas Maduro recently survived an assassination attempt by drone, inflation hit more than 40,000% in June and the country is facing severe food shortages – so severe that starving people are reportedly breaking into local zoos to slaughter and eat the animals.
Before the assassination attempt…
- Under-fire Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro admitted his economic model has “failed” in the wake of food and medicine shortages and public service paralysis, such as Tuesday’s power failure that affected 80 percent of Caracas.
- “The production models we’ve tried so far have failed and the responsibility is ours, mine and yours,” Maduro told his ruling PSUV party congress, as Venezuela looks to tackle chronic inflation the International Monetary Fund predicted would reach one million percent this year.
- “Enough with the whining… we need to produce with or without (outside) aggression, with or without blockades, we need to make Venezuela an economic power,” he added late Monday, with the country grappling with a four-year long recession.
President Trump seems to think Americans are smarter than to let this happen. At his rally this week, the President predicted the blue wave is fake news. You’ll hear what he had to say on this week’s show.
Steven’s Hope for Children
Ed has an interview with the founder of a great organization, Steven’s Hope for Children. Tony Cappelli and his wife Sandy operate a wonderful non-profit that helps the families of hospitalized children due to chronic illness or injury, and it’s located right here in the Inland Empire. Tune in to hear about the great things Steven’s Hope for Children is doing, and learn more at www.StevensHope.org.
- AM 590 The Answer (KTIE), Saturdays at 10 AM/ 9 PM & Sundays at 4 PM
- AM 870 The Answer (KRLA), Sundays at 3 PM
- AM 1170 The Answer (KCBQ), Sundays at 7 AM
- Red State Talk Radio’s Encore Channel, Sundays at 1 PM Pacific
You can also get on-demand podcasts of the show right here on the Podcast page, as well as on Soundcloud or iTunes.