Connect with The Main Event on social media! Follow Ed on Twitter @EdHoffman, where he tweets about current events all week long – and, like the show on Facebook at Facebook.com/TheMainEventEdHoffman. Here’s a preview of this week’s show!
This week, Ed welcomes frequent phone guest Joey Jones in studio for the first time! “Joey has flown in for our WCC Charities Gala & Auction,” Ed says. “He came to town just for that.” They talk about the pressures today’s veterans are experiencing, and Joey attributes some of those pressures to social media. You’ll find his comments fascinating.
After that, they discuss a home buying scenario Joey recently experienced; Ed has been eager to discuss it on the show because he believes many home buyers experience the same thing. “The appraiser came in $75,000 under what we thought was a good price,” Joey says, and this led to some problems with the loan process. Ed explains the ins and outs of a scenario like this to inform listeners regarding the critical connection between the appraisal and their mortgage loan.
After that, it’s on to a discussion on the immigration developments of the week.
On Monday, Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly released two memos: “Implementing the President’s Border Security and Immigration Enforcement Improvement Policies” and “Enforcement of the Immigration Laws to Serve the National Interest.” In them, Kelly promised to:
- Hire 10,000 Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents and officers
- Hire 5,000 Border Patrol agents
- Plan, design and construct a U.S.-Mexico border wall
- Prioritize criminal illegal immigrants and others for deportation, which will now include those convicted or charged with “any criminal offense,” or those who have “abused any public welfare program”
- End “catch-and-release” policies under which illegal immigrants subject to deportation may be allowed to “abscond” and fail to appear at removal hearings
- Expand the 287(g) program, which allows local police officers to act as immigration agents (a program that was significantly limited in the Obama administration)
You’ll hear Ed and Joey’s take on those changes, plus you’ll get analysis of the debacle concerning President Trump referring to a “military operation” on the border. Ed and his guest have very different viewpoints on the matter; Joey’s public policy background gives him an intellectual perspective many people will find interesting. After that, Ed reads part of a humorous satire piece on California being “sold” to Mexico. “I think we’ll put this up on EdHoffman.net,” Ed says. Look for it soon!
On this week’s show, you’ll also hear:
- The voice of the mysterious “villain” of the Trump administration, Steve Bannon
- An insider’s perspective on how members of Congress make many of their decisions
- How many times the cop killer in Whittier was in and out of jail over the past six years – outrageous!
Catch The Main Event on the following stations:
AM 590 The Answer (KTIE), Saturdays at 9:30 AM/ 9 PM & Sundays at 8 AM (unless the Rams are playing)
AM 1490 Smart Talk (KMET), Sundays at 11 AM & Mondays at 3 PM
AM 870 The Answer (KRLA), Sundays at 3 PM
You can also get on-demand podcasts of the show right here on the Podcasts page, as well as on Soundcloud or iTunes.