Connect with The Main Event on social media! Follow Ed Hoffman on Twitter @EdHoffman, where he tweets about current events all week long – and, like the show on Facebook at Facebook.com/TheMainEventEdHoffman. You can also call the new listener hotline to leave Ed a voicemail and tell him what you think of the show! Call The Main Event listener hotline at (855) 640-2092. Here’s a preview of this week’s show!
Nomination of Brett Kavanaugh
After weeks of speculation, President Trump on Monday revealed that the second Supreme Court nominee of his presidency would be D.C. Circuit Judge Brett Kavanaugh.
- Kavanaugh is a longtime foe of President Bill Clinton and was an aide to President George W. Bush.
- He’s a graduate of Yale Law School, and began his career under former Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr, who led the investigation that ultimately resulted in Clinton’s impeachment. Kavanaugh himself was a lead author of the controversial Starr Report.
- He has served on the D.C. Circuit Court since 2006, bringing with him a long record of conservative jurisprudence. Prior to serving on the D.C. Circuit, he clerked under Justice Kennedy (who he will be replacing).
- Kavanaugh is much loved in conservative legal circles as an originalist in the mold of Justice Clarence Thomas and former Justice Antonin Scalia.
But as you know, Democrats have been spreading the lie that anyone Trump nominates to the court will overturn Roe vs. Wade. Kavanaugh has called Roe vs. Wade “settled law,” but he did dissent in a ruling recently that allowed an illegal immigrant minor to undergo an abortion. In his dissent, he accused the majority of devising “a new right for unlawful immigrant minors in U.S. Government detention to obtain immediate abortion on demand.”
That’s all these Democrats needed to protest his appointment, and on the show you’ll hear Cory Booker, Bernie Sanders and Kirsten Gillibrand doing that.
Peter Strzok Testifies
After hearing his name for the past year and a half, we finally got to hear former FBI agent Peter Strzok’s voice this week as he testified in open committee on Capitol Hill. Not surprisingly, Strzok forcefully defended his actions in the Hillary Clinton email and Russia investigations – including the anti-Trump text messages he sent. But the biggest takeaway from the Strzok hearing was the grandstanding that went on. You’ll hear much of it on this week’s show, plus Ed’s trademark take on everything.
- AM 590 The Answer (KTIE), Saturdays at 10 AM/ 9 PM & Sundays at 4 PM
- AM 870 The Answer (KRLA), Sundays at 3 PM
- AM 1170 The Answer (KCBQ), Sundays at 7 AM
- Red State Talk Radio’s Encore Channel, Sundays at 1 PM Pacific