Connect with The Main Event on social media! Follow Ed Hoffman on Twitter @EdHoffman, where he tweets about current events all week long – and, like the show on Facebook at Facebook.com/TheMainEventEdHoffman. You can also call the new listener hotline to leave Ed a voicemail and tell him what you think of the show! Call The Main Event listener hotline at (855) 640-2092. Here’s a preview of this week’s show!
Withdrawing from Iran Nuclear Deal
The Trump administration made two major foreign policy achievements this week, starting with pulling out of the Iran nuclear agreement – the deal that the Obama administration struck with the Iranian regime in 2015. For those who have forgotten what the terms of this terrible deal were, let’s recap some of the finer details:
- The Obama State Department under John Kerry claimed that the deal “cut off every pathway that Iran could take to develop a nuclear weapon.” But the deal allowed Iran to continue developing advanced centrifuges, and the 10-year sunset clause cleared the way for Iran to begin assembling them as weapons by the year 2025.
- While it is true that the U.S., Russia, China, Germany, France and Great Britain would have the ability to inspect any suspicious Iranian sites, the deal required these nations to give Iran 24 days’ notice before the inspections – giving Iran plenty of time to hide anything they were developing. Ed alert: “I thought that was a misprint that was supposed to say 24 hours…24 days? What couldn’t you hide in 24 days?”
- Rolling back sanctions was never tied to Iran complying with the deal, meaning Iran got massive amounts of economic relief without being required to prove they were adhering to the terms of the agreement. This relief was to the tune of $150 billion.
- That relief could still be used to expand Iran’s destabilizing influence in the Middle East, including the funding of Iran’s terrorist proxies like Hamas, Hezbollah, Bashar-Al Assad, and the Houthis in Yemen.
- Even after the agreement was signed, Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said that Iran would not change its anti-American policy.
Did you see the Iranians chanting death to America at the U.N. this week? Ed alert: “Yeah, those seem like the kind of guys I want to do business with.”
As the first half closes out, we’re talking about the release of three Americans who were detained in North Korea -something that’s undoubtedly a foreign relations victory for the President and his administration.
Confirmation of Gina Haspel
It was finally time for the Senate confirmation of Gina Haspel, Trump’s nominee to replace Mike Pompeo as CIA Director. As predicted, Senate Democrats would try to use Haspel’s role in supervising black site interrogations of terrorists after 9/11 to block her confirmation. From Democrats like Mark Warner from Virginia and our own illustrious Senator from California, Kamala Harris to fake Republican Susan Collins of Maine, the confirmation committee did everything they could to pigeonhole career CIA servant Haspel into calling her work for our country after 9/11 “immoral.” Ed alert: “Here’s one thing I never heard anyone ask her: ‘Ms. Haspel, can you keep us safe?’ That’s all I care about.”
Speaking of Democrats, Nancy Pelosi made a joke this week that she’ll be doing away with the Trump tax cuts if the Dems take back the house. This is why Republicans can’t stay home on June 5!
Everyone’s Mad at Jeff Sessions
Attorney General Jeff Sessions is at a point where both Democrats and Republicans are questioning his fitness. He started out the week angering Democrats with this strong statement at the U.S./Mexico border.
But on the other side of the coin, Republicans are mad at Sessions’ Department of Justice for not turning over documents related to the Clinton campaign and DNC role in creating the phony Russian dossier – and, the fact that Sessions is allowing the FBI to pass on looking at the personal phone messages between Peter Strozk and Lisa Page.
Tune in this week to hear more!
Catch The Main Event at…
- AM 590 The Answer (KTIE), Saturdays at 10 AM/ 9 PM & Sundays at 4 PM
- AM 870 The Answer (KRLA), Sundays at 3 PM
- AM 1170 The Answer (KCBQ), Sundays at 7 AM
- Red State Talk Radio’s Encore Channel, Sundays at 1 PM Pacific