Connect with The Main Event on social media! Follow Ed Hoffman on Twitter @EdHoffman, where he tweets about current events all week long – and, like the show on Facebook at Facebook.com/TheMainEventEdHoffman. You can also call the new listener hotline to leave Ed a voicemail and tell him what you think of the show! Call The Main Event listener hotline at (855) 640-2092. Here’s a preview of this week’s show! (To see Ed’s comments, look for “Ed Alerts” throughout the blog post!)
Another Shutdown? It Happened
Although there was a brief government shutdown Thursday night after Rand Paul’s filibuster to protest it, the House and Senate voted to proceed with an agreement that would lock in spending for two years, which means we don’t have to hear about government shutdown threats or continuing resolutions until the year 2020. Here’s what’s in the bill:
- $90 billion disaster relief funding for hurricane and wildfire areas in Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and California.
- An $80 billion increase for military spending in the current fiscal year and $85 billion in the next year, which begins on October 1st, and the limit on nondefense spending would increase by $63 billion this year and $68 billion next year.
- And $131 billion extra made available for non-military spending, including health and infrastructure.
Ed alert: “I have to agree 100% with Rand Paul. He’s a libertarian, but fiscally I’m right with him. We shouldn’t be spending this money. We should have held out while they figured out how to spend the people’s money responsibly.”
Ed also talks about the stock market decline this week, which you don’t want to miss.
Catch The Main Event at…
- AM 590 The Answer (KTIE), Saturdays at 10 AM/ 9 PM & Sundays at 4 PM
- AM 870 The Answer (KRLA), Sundays at 3 PM
- AM 1170 The Answer (KCBQ), Sundays at 7 AM
- Red State Talk Radio’s Encore Channel, Sundays at 1 PM Pacific